I am delighted and touched each day by this new addition to my life. Friends had warned me before that a baby changes everything, and now I can understand why. Dylan Bosco Desa was born August 25th at 4:06am. He was born after a speedy labor, just four hours from our arrival at the hospital. I can attribute much of the ease of labor to the breath work practices that I used to breathe through the contractions and remain calm. This even fooled the nurses into thinking that I was in earlier stages of labor. Today I wanted to introduce Dylan to the community – he has been on this earth for 10 days!
The nine month pregnancy and birth have once again shown the power of keeping expectations at bay. I had a very good pregnancy – even at age 38-39 my body didn’t fall apart or grow enormous and I felt great throughout, the only problem I encourage due my age was to get pregnant at first, but all were sorted with fertility pills.
Many things about my pregnancy and birth were outside of the “normal” course. I will write more about each of these points in due time. Having this young one limits my time at the computer!
1. I practiced yoga, mostly Ashtanga yoga throughout. I learned how to modify and left certain poses out that did not feel good.
2. I ate a 95% vegan diet throughout
3. I barely gained the expected weight
4. I did not swell up despite the heat
5. My labor was very fast and relatively easy. (I won’t say pain-free)
6. Using the breath work (pranayama) and meditation techniques helped me to cope with labor very well.
I will share more about each point above as time goes on. My goal is to inspire other women to change their perspectives about pregnancy. It can be such a wonderful, positive experience!